I just received a new toy for my WonderSwan, something, that I think is not really common, at least outside of Japan, even if the WonderSwan is not common outside of Japan.
I’m happy, because this new stuff will may allow us to extand the capability of the WonderSwan: connecting it to the marvelous word of Internet!
This accessory is the MobileWonderGate:
I was made to connect your WonderSwan to compatible mobile phone and then have access to Internet via your mobile phone. NTT DoCoMo was the sponsorship of this product at the time, and it surely only worked on this network.
But why this tool is interesting?
For a few reasons:
- The first one is that there is absolutly NO hardware documentation on this nowhere on the internet. And since I want to make the WonderSwan the more documented possible, leaving an official accesory uncovered is unacceptable 😉
- Second one, since this is an official product, some games was made to be compatible with it, not only the cardridge that was sold with the package.
- Third one, it connect to the WonderSwan Serial Port, so the protocol, on the Swan side should not be too hard to understand, the adaptor should be a microcontoler with IP and PPP stacks to leave the minimum to the WonderSwan, (the MobileWonderGate cart included a web browser so the CPU useage should be light on the network part!)
- The Mobile phone side should be too a serial connection (that’s how it works on most mobile phone back in time) so even here it should be easy to understand the protocol. I suspect it’s standard AT commands and PPP
- So it should be easy to hack the adaptor on the swan side, or on the phone side to make it work with whatever we want. It could be even funny to make a compatible adaptor that integrate a Wifi module to connect to internet!
- And finally since it’s an official module, for thoses who make homebrew on the WonderSwan that want to connect to internet, they should use do compatible with this adapter.